[kwlug-disc] Stronger SSH keys and SSL certificates

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Apr 21 03:32:13 EDT 2014

Your not getting what I said - the NSA CANNOT have a back door. It would
not survive in the code base.

Last I saw, there was denial that NSA had it, etc. Let's stop using that.

Encryption length has nothing to do with ability to read mail, so please
stop that FUD.

Heartbleed MAY let you read some traffic that passes through a server,
IF you're in it at the time to request the hearbeat, it MAY let you
sleuth out some passwords - IF they went through. If your e-mail is not
on that server, there is no e-mail to read. If you didn't read e-mail,
there is no e-mail password to read. It may reveal a password that they
then connect to the appropriate server and they MAY go to that server
and dig through stuff.

It does NOT let you go from this server to another server and start
digging. Each SSL session exchanges new keys that are based upon
certificates and unique to each session. Having the base keys would let
you spoof that you are the server you say you are, but a lot of stars
have to align for anything useful to come of it. And you have to be the
biggest target in the neighbourhood to be worth going after in the first
place. And although big, resources are scarce.

In essence, Heartbleed and SSL encryption keys are distinct beasties.
Heartbleed is a bug resulting from a not extremely experienced coder
coding mistake that wasn't caught during peer review. Free code, free
peer reviewed, and like most open source, inadequately funded. From your
article, posted New Year's Eve - like anything then is ever likely to be
adequately reviewed.

That we get anywhere at all is bizarre, a testament to the community of
the world, and so far ahead of commercial proprietary schemes as to not
be in the same ballpark.

No code is bug free. There are, nor ever were, any guarantees.

Heartbleed will not likely implement better QC standards in FOSS. See
free. If you want to see such, start contributing to the ssl code review.

What? Can't? Not qualified? ... so why would you think anyone else is?
Or would?  Or the world starts paying people to do such. But ... it then
wouldn't be FOSS.

It is what it is. It's the best out there. It's pretty damn good. And
beats anything proprietary - that's why proprietary systems use it.

There is no back door. Encryption key length is a different beastie.

Let's move on.