[kwlug-disc] Stronger SSH keys and SSL certificates

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Apr 20 19:28:21 EDT 2014

The very nature of Open Source is such that that is not possible.

The source is free to see, use, modify, whatever.

And people do.

As I understand it, that is how Heartbleed was discovered - by code review.

If any such back door were present, the community would refuse to use
it. The very act of putting in any such back door would thus be
self-defeating - nobody would use it, there would be no door, back or
otherwise, to enter.

People compile from source.

Source is retrieved from trusted repositories.

Repositories have gpg keys, things are checksummed.

You may upgrade with binaries, but those binaries have come from trusted
repositories.

Each combination has their own binary. Or they build their own from
trusted source, themselves.

Thus, many instances of running software around the world are
simultaneously and independently run, many of which are independently
compiled and built from the same source.

Depending upon the app, someone sticking something in in one place, will
either be immediately rejected, or rendered neuter by nothing compatible
with it. i.e. Send a request (for back door entry) would be denied
because nothing understands the request, or try to use an algorithm that
lets you derive a back door and it would be denied because nobody would
send you a key with this algorithm they do not themselves have.

All of this web of trust is quite probably the single biggest advantage
(if the least understood by those new to computers) of non-proprietary
systems. When you update through your repository, you KNOW it's good
code. Not to say stuff doesn't creep in, or at least try to. But any
reasonably reputable repository, once such is identified to them, shuts
it down pretty damn quick.

OpenSSL, for example, is paid attention to really rather diligently. The
world depends upon it, so anything threatening it gets immediate
attention. (Even if it takes a while to trickle down to the end user.)