[kwlug-disc] Advanced(?) Git usage question

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sat Apr 19 17:15:45 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-19 15:47, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> Gandalf made "terminal routers" or trouters.  I administered several
> PACX (Private Automated Computer eXchange) devices, which were later
> upgraded to the Gandalf Starmaster device.
The Gandalf PACX equipment came along many years after coax bus /
multiplexer I mentioned earlier.
My employer in 1980s also designed and sold data switching equipment,
based on a telephone PBX.

In the PBX Voice was digitized, into PCM, and circuit switching was done
in the digital domain.

The company thought decided to extend the existing digital circuit
switching capabilities of the PBX with the addition of digital line
cards supporting a number if circuits for asynchronous serial data
communications at speeds in the range of 9600 bps (common in the 1980s).

It is common, but incorrect, to equate RS232 with asynchronous, serial
data communications. RS232 can be used for synchronous, serial data
communications as well.

IIRC: The X.25 PAD equipment connected with the network through 4800 bps
modems that were RS232 synchronous on the digital side and connected to
a conditioned leased line in the analogue side.

JohnJ