[kwlug-disc] April 14 1912 Anniversary of Sinking of Titanic and Radio

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Fri Apr 18 22:37:51 EDT 2014

Pulled from: William Breniman's 1929 article:

One more item of interest that might be Mentioned in closing is that at
the time of the /*Titanic* /disaster there were only four radio equipped
American ships, each carrying one operator at a salary of $45.00 per
month. These were the SS. */St. Paul/*/, /SS. St. /*Louis*, /SS./
*Philadelphia* /and SS. /*New York*./

I am not sure what $45.00 per month in 1912 works out to in today's
dollars. Then there was the cost of the equipment. Just saying.

To paraphrase Mark Twain (who said be was channeling Benjamin Disraeli):
/"There are decisions and damned decisions." /

jsquared

On 2014-04-18 21:13, Andrew Mercer wrote:
> This year is the anniversary of the Newfoundland sealing disaster of
> 1914 where due to lack of advanced communication, 132 men were
> stranded on the ice in the middle of the Atlantic for more than 48
> hours. 78 of these men perished before they could be rescued.
> Apparently at the time, radios on ships were recommended but not
> required and due to the cost, the ships involved with stranding these
> men, did not equip their ships with them.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Newfoundland#1914_Newfoundland_Sealing_Disaster
>

> ---
> Andrew Mercer
> www.andrewmercer.net
>
> On 2014-04-16 13:30, John Johnson wrote:
>> Prompted by another discussion about RF technology, I thought I would,
>> somewhat close to the anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic,
>> mention the impact the event had on the adoption of Radio technology.
>> And on Search and Rescue in the North Atlantic and, as well, on
>> hazards caused by icebergs in the same area.