[kwlug-disc] Advanced(?) Git usage question

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Thu Apr 17 13:59:54 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-17 11:52, Adam Glauser wrote:
> If you `git checkout branch`, modify indexTest.php, then `git checkout
> otherbranch', git should warn you that you have uncommitted changes
> and refuse to change branches.

Adam, I have seen the warning you mention about uncommitted changes when
switching between branches.
But I have also been able to switch between branches without committing
unsaved changes.*
I did not use any switches that would force the switch to another branch
nor do I have a handle on this.

* I had to go review my notes (I do make notes), to find the branch that
owned the source file that was changed so as to make sure that the
commit would be made to the correct branch.

Thanks
John Johnson