[kwlug-disc] Advanced(?) Git usage question

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Thu Apr 17 00:00:12 EDT 2014

Earlier I asked:
/What happens if I have modified a file in one of the branches?
Say it is a file accessible through FF with
/localhost/projectName/indexTest.php
/
I think I have an answer.
$ git checkout rewind_2f7c343 (switch to branch)
test in FF: /localhost/projectName/indexTest.php
behaviour is w (this is a problem)

modify file indexTest.php
w/o commit

test in FF: /localhost/projectName/indexTest.php
behaviour is x (problem of w is gone)

$ git checkout rewind_f9a4506 (switch to branch)
test in FF: /localhost/projectName/indexTest.php
behaviour is x (was y + w before mods)

$ git checkout rewind_ad95724 (switch to branch)
test in FF: /localhost/projectName/indexTest.php
behaviour is x (was z + w before mods)

behaviour x is from the uncommited (staged?) file modified under
rewind_2f7c343

$ git checkout rewind_2f7c343 (switch to branch)
$ git commit -a
to commit changes to indexTest.php

test in FF: /localhost/projectName/indexTest.php
behaviour is x (problem of w is gone)

$ git checkout rewind_f9a4506 (switch to branch)
test in FF: /localhost/projectName/indexTest.php
behaviour is y + w (problem w is present)

$ git checkout rewind_ad95724 (switch to branch)
test in FF: /localhost/projectName/indexTest.php
behaviour is z + w (problem w is present)

Now, the trick I have at hand is to merge the changes in indexTest.php
made in rewind_2f7c343 with the other branches.
And do this so that only the problem with behaviour w is addressed, i.e.
without affecting the other behaviours present in the other branches.

Learning by doing.
Hopefully, in the right direction.

Thanks
John Johnson