[kwlug-disc] Line of sight / antennas

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Apr 16 16:01:44 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> We talked about finding clear line of sight between locations a while
> back.  There are several ways to find this, and we previously
> mentioned installing SPLAT! or using a web service that uses SPLAT!.

Oops.  More to add.

SPLAT! link.  http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/splat.html

One site suggested that Grand Island was out of range from Waterloo
due to S:N, so elevation doesn't enter into it.  I don't care. :-)  I
still want to know the elevation profile.

There are maps that will allow you to select a source and destination,
then find the elevation profile along that route.  This one does that.

I selected Waterloo and a place in Niagara Falls Canada, near Grand
Island.  The route is not exactly line of site, because it follows
roads.  The elevation profile is the graph shown in the info panel on
the left.

The link should show my saved choices.

https://www.komoot.de/plan/tour/bAxGYIAAB-zLLPQKYKfYB3A_aUfAoFIUNmA?

Looks "not bad".  It doesn't consider earth curvature or antenna
elevation.  It does look cool though.  Maps are cool.