[kwlug-disc] Heartbleed affected sites

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Apr 15 18:09:12 EDT 2014

unsolicited wrote:
> Use a password manager - what if there isn't one? e.g. SSH
> signons?

KeepassX autotype works just fine in an SSH terminal.  In fact, it
really helps with complex login commands, like

  ssh -X bjonkman at remote.example.com -p 2222 -R 22:localhost:10022 -L
10080:localhost:80

which autotype and save me from having to remember it.  The only
problem is that KeepassX 0.4.3 hasn't implemented the {DELAY=3}
parameter in the autotype sequence, but that's apparently fixed in
KeepassX v2.0

And even if autotype didn't work, I think every password manager has
an option to copy the password to the clipboard for manual
cut'n'paste. So you still get strong passwords without having to
remember them.

- --Bob.