[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 12.04 LTS localhost* and internet fail - where to start^h^h^h^h^h continue?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Apr 12 16:24:49 EDT 2014

But does 'ping localhost' or 'ping 127.0.0.1' or 'nslookup localhost'
show success? Does 'ifconfig' show localhost up? Does /etc/hosts show a
localhost in it?

Like, top line of /etc/hosts:
  127.0.0.1      localhost .host

ifconfig:
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
           RX bytes:295708372 (295.7 MB)  TX bytes:295708372 (295.7 MB)