[kwlug-disc] Advanced(?) Git usage question

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Apr 9 19:37:32 EDT 2014

This would drive everyone nuts, this approach. But John has more
experience in revision control in a multi-party/person development
environment than I.

With this approach, everyone with a bug in release could not know if
their bug is impacted by your bug. So do they now all start doing as
suggested and each willy nilly (locally?) start creating branches? Chaos.

I would have thought go back to release where bug introduced. Fix there.
Perhaps with creating a branch, but probably not depending upon extent
of code in fix. At the least, bug fix -> .1 at that level? Maybe not.
Perhaps just rebuild - but would a mere rebuild cause later releases to
pick up and include such change, or only upon a release version number
change?

It would then be, I would think, your responsibility to burp that up to
every other release based upon the .0 that was. Or the group's (per its
policies)? i.e. Each other release now based out of .1, not .0.

Then once burped to top, those others with bugs could know that their
bug is not dependent upon or caused by your bug.

In a group environment, where everyone is working on their own bugs /
features ... this is why acetaminophen was invented?

In any case, I would think group policies / procedures would prevail.