[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 12.04 LTS localhost* and internet fail - where to start?

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Wed Apr 9 09:46:41 EDT 2014

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS localhost* and internet fail (w/FF)- where to start?

My Linux box is, all of a sudden, failing to connect to the internet.
I was on a site earlier when the site (and others) started returning the
FF "server not found" (404) message.

Actually, I have made, I think, a good start (see below).
I am asking where do I go now?

Troubleshooting round one:
Boot. Reboot. Ubuntu restart. etc.
re-wired Linux box to Router connections.

Troubleshooting round two:
Linux box > terminal > ping 192.168.0.1 (Dlink router) are OK
Linux box > terminal > ping 192.168.0.115 (Windows box) OK
Linux box > terminal > ping 192.168.0.101 (loop back to Linux box) OK
Linux box > terminal > ping localhost (loop back to Linux box via LAMP) OK *
Windows box > cmd window > ping 192.168.0.1 (Dlink router) are OK
Windows box > cmd window > ping 192.168.0.101 (Linux box) are OK
Windows box > cmd window > ping 192.168.0.115 (loop back Windows box) are OK
Windows box > cmd window > ping localhost (loop back to Windows box via
XAMPP) are OK

*ping localhost was failing on the Linux box when I started
troubleshooting. Working now.
FF internet access still fails.

Troubleshooting round three:
Suspecting that the issue may be isolated to FF:
FF restarted in safe-mode. i.e. with add-ons disabled: still fails
Attempted bypass of FF through Ubuntu Software Centre and install of
Chromium browser: fail.

Analysis: The issue does not look to be isolated to FF.

Thanks
JohnJ