[kwlug-disc] Heartbleed OpenSSL bug

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Apr 9 02:09:29 EDT 2014

CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> So I wonder if Ubuntu is putting out their own homebrew 1.0.1e?

I think Ubuntu is assigning a different version number than the
mainstream OpenSSL team is.  That's fine, the Ubuntu number changes
are all in the metadata portion (or "pre-release" portion, or "build
number" portion) of the version string. I'm curious if Ubuntu is
actually applying the same code as the OpenSSL team, or if they've
crafted their own solution.  Either way, at the next Debian code
import[1] (for the following release, 14.10) I expect the version
numbers and the actual code to converge again.

However, this is a fairly significant bug fix, and should probably
have been given its own patch number increment, eg. OpenSSl 1.0.2
according to the Semantic Versioning system[2].

- --Bob.

[1] Based on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule about
16 weeks into the release cycle

[2] Semantic Versioning:  http://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html

)

)

12.10:libssl1.0.0 <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl>

12.04 LTS:libssl1.0.0 <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl>
> 1.0.1-4ubuntu5.12<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl/1.0.1-4ubuntu5.12>

To update your system, please follow these instructions: