[kwlug-disc] Linux on Windows 8 laptops with UEFI

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Apr 5 17:48:44 EDT 2014

Just went through this last summer.

You can work around whatever you need to, but it is working around (no
biggie) - more a matter of learning what they have done to you now.

To boot Windows SecureBoot has to be on.

To boot Linux, SecureBoot (*) has to be off. Once off, you can go ahead
and do with partitions what you always have. e.g. I booted clonezilla /
livecd / whatever, to shrink the partitions to make space for a linux
boot partition. Then (could have) installed Linux. (Once booted,
secureboot's fingers are no longer in play.)

Note: You will probably also have to deal with GPT now, but you've now
been through that. (It's merely an additional wrinkle in play again/also.)

Easier dual boot may be problematic, if you set to boot from linux and
provide a windows boot option within it, windows might still not boot (I
haven't tried), not coming from a secureboot signed area - don't know.

At worst, since you're into the bios to turn secureboot on or off, you
can also set which partition to boot, linux or windows. Cumbersome and
irritating, but doable.

* Way back when when the list first discovered secureboot, there was
discussion about getting appropriate signings / keyfiles into place so
that linux would boot with secureboot on. I haven't pursued, but you may
wish to investigate. If successful, you may well be able to set up a
traditional boot from grub list that includes a windows boot, without
having to mess with bios settings each time.