[kwlug-disc] The sweet(?) smell of power supplies

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Apr 5 16:03:39 EDT 2014

It may be the glue holding some of the components together. My guess
is that they vibrate or buzz, and rather than spend money on better
components they just slap some hot-glue on it to keep it quiet.

If that's the case, then burning it in on a lab bench for a day or two
should cure the glue, and it'll be relatively odour-free. You have a
lab, right?

On the other hand, if the smell is coming from components that don't
heat up then burning it in won't accelerate the out-gassing.  Maybe
running a hot air gun over it for a while...

Also, Computer Recycling has used power supplies that may not be horrible.

- --Bob.