[kwlug-disc] The sweet(?) smell of power supplies

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 15:56:19 EDT 2014

PC hardware question, not specific to Linux, but some of you folks may have
ideas.

My partner has some rather significant allergies and sensitivities.  She
also needs to replace her 12-year-old desktop computer.

In general electronics tend to be okay for her, but the power supply seems
to be a stumbling block.  New power supplies smell really bad, triggering
her sensitivities.  And they're blowing that bad air into her living space.

Does anyone know of a retailer that sells power supplies that she'd be able
to crack open a bunch and give them a sniff-test?

Is there somewhere we can look at used power supplies, preferably from
hopefully neutral office environments (rather than, say, the homes of
smokers or pet owners)?

We're not entirely sure what it is in the power supplies that is triggering
her.  We know that the PVC wiring is bad (I'm not holding out much hope,
but if someone knows of a manufacturer that coats their wires in something
other than PVC, that would be very useful to know).  But we've tried a
bunch and haven't come up with much luck.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
Darcy.