[kwlug-disc] Ooma and leaving Bell

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Apr 4 16:34:01 EDT 2014

That's my point. There is nothing in your description regarding OpenWRT,
nor is OpenWRT necessary, nor even perhaps useful, in what you've
described thus far.

Different beasties, good learning curve on each. If I were in your
shoes, I'd be completing Ooma and evaluating performance / other needs
before moving on to add OpenWRT.

It's equally valid to think a separate box, or your NAS, could do the
same thing. And not add yet another beastie to grok.

In my case, having played with OpenWRT, for my use case, when the
hardware failed I just got another router and lived with stock - rather
than re-figuring out how to reapply OpenWRT, even if I had taken the
time to source OpenWRT'able hardware (remember, no ISP connectivity at
that point), get it on, and figure out how to restore / transfer
settings from old OpenWRT to new.

It'd be different if I was creating OpenWRT installs every day, or every
other week, rather than the less than every other year I've experienced
to date. And every time I do I have to re-sink into the ecosystem, it
takes some non-trivial amount of time.

[Connectivity, at all, of prime importance at the time of failure - for
my use case OpenWRT hadn't provided so much additional value that I ever
went back after restoration to put OpenWRT on the new beastie. Since
then ... I've gotten more value from OpenWRT as an extra device for
other things, e.g. OpenVPN, than as my front end router.]

When time permits you can always insert OpenWRT between your house and
the ISP router, or even replace the ISP router. But when the ISP router
fails, you want it back, right now! (So having a backup device to hand
may always be useful. Even if all you use it for in between is as a 4
port switch.)