[kwlug-disc] Google Hangouts (now?) a Skype killer?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Sep 25 21:19:42 EDT 2013

Bob and I did a VERY quick test.

Conversation started from Xabber/Android, responded to via Pigdgin/Linux
(I believe), continued via Gtalk/Windows, with responses from
Xabber/Android.

Hangouts saw nothing. I added Bob to contacts, which it found fine, but
he saw nothing from it in his XMPP clients.

- in the process found out a PGP replacement beastie OTR exists, which
Xabber supports. (At one point things went a little strange, gtalk
sending gibberish, which I suspect was encrypted when it wasn't supposed
to be, or vice versa - but that didn't last long.)

In other recent experience I saw gtalk and Hangouts cross pollinate
almost seamlessly. So perhaps Hangouts / XMPP really is an iffy thing.

On 13-09-25 04:56 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
.
.
.