[kwlug-disc] Favourite free sip registrars?

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 11:27:18 EDT 2013

I currently use voip.ms.  It's not free, but it is pay as you go.
Currently I spend about $25 every three-four months for my 519 number.
They charge $5.95 / month for the phone number and in US/Can it's something
like $0.0052 per minute.  (0.52 cents)

Example:  In April I spent 04h 41m 39s on the phone.  It cost $1.58875 for
that time.

I've never found a reliable 'free' solution that doesn't cost some amount
of money initially.  For a while, you could pay Fongo $50 for plain old SIP
access and use whatever device you wanted, but that changed.  Now it's an
ATA you purchase and I can't comment on their reliability.

I just use a small PC as an asterisk server and a Linksys ATA to let my old
fashioned phones work, but you could just use a free SIP softphone to talk
directly to voip.ms...