[kwlug-disc] Favourite free sip registrars?

Andrew Mercer andrew at andrewmercer.net
Thu Sep 12 14:14:57 EDT 2013

I had freephoneline working with an ATA and also for awhile with
Asterisk, but at some point it stopped working reliably so I switched to
voip.ms. Emails to freephonline to help port my number went unanswered
and as far as I could tell they have no phone number which is a tad
ironic :)

No complaints with voip.ms. Has been working great for months now.

On 2013-09-12 14:01, Dan---143news wrote:
> On 13-09-12 01:37 PM, unsolicited wrote:
>
> It is excellent.
> I have saved over $1200 over the past two years by getting rid of my
> Bell Canada phone.  No regrets ever.
> It is one of the best things I have invested my money in.  It's about
> $100 for the ATA device and purchasing the SIP.
> I have two SIP lines  one number in KW and a BC number that my
> relatives out there can use to call us here in KW for free.
>
> Dan
>
>> I've stumbled across freephoneline.ca again. I hear it mentioned
>> every now and again.
>>
>> Anyone have any comments or experiences?
>>
>> On 13-09-09 09:53 AM, unsolicited wrote:
>>> Anybody have a favourite free sip registrar?
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of the usefulness of such for our homeless guests at
>>> OOTC -
>>> be it via Ekiga / laptop, or Android / CSipSimple, particularly
>>> when
>>> combined with sipbroker.
>>>
>>> [Granted, such won't let them call PSTN numbers. But they would
>>> become
>>> reachable, themselves.]
>>>
>>> [And that for an initial $25 at voip.ms they would be able to call
>>> PSTN
>>> numbers. DISA even. Assuming they had a credit card, which very few