[kwlug-disc] Favourite free sip registrars?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Sep 11 17:20:44 EDT 2013

On 13-09-11 12:38 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
.
.
.
> We don't allow people to install their own software on public lab
> machines. We have some lockdowns on our public wifi at the Queen
> Street Commons, but are willing to open ports upon request. (We may go
> to a much more open model in the future.) I do know that some people
> do SIP-type stuff there.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you should.

I wouldn't think you would have to open up ports, and I certainly
wouldn't want you to. I was assuming outgoing calls only, not incoming.
(UPnP, should you be inclined to enable it, would take care of this? Not
that I'm suggesting you do.) I haven't played much with softphones,
beyond recent test ringing and echo/dtmf tests with voip.ms, but I
didn't have to open any ports for any of that. Perhaps I haven't tested
enough.

I guess unsaid but implied was having <your favourite sip client> as
part of your base machine could be a useful thing? Each user could plunk
into it their favourite registrar name / signon details.

I keep remembering something you've said - it's all very well to suggest
people migrate to Linux, but if the support structure isn't present, the
uptake percentage isn't all that high.

VoIP seems intuitively intimidating and complex - if part of what the
Working Centre does is knowledge transfer, perhaps this is a useful area
to transfer knowledge in? [Assuming not everybody uses Skype / is
entirely happy with it, perhaps this is a way for those with lower
income to stretch it further? e.g. Take advantage of it on their home
computers, once that knowledge has been transferred.]