[kwlug-disc] OT: "No I will not fix your computer."

peter_melse at gto.net peter_melse at gto.net
Thu Oct 31 10:28:01 EDT 2013

 On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 01:18:02 -0400, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca>
 wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 05:05:31PM -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
>> unsolicited wrote:
>
>> > But back to Paul's point ... Where to send a user with a broken
>> > computer, for the least cost.
>>
>> I don't think Paul was asking for an ROI analysis, just a list of
>> repair
>> shops.
>>
>> The quick and dirty answer is: Geek Squad at Best Buy/Futureshop,
>> EasyTech at Staples, and Nerds On Wheels.  Good luck with GNU/Linux
>> systems, tho.
>
> Are these places actually worth sending people to? Do they do good
> work?
>
> The person I am thinking of was quoted $250 for an operating system
> reinstall (Windows, of course). He was balking at that price (for
> what
> I think are justifiable reasons).
>
> - Paul

 I've heard some horror stories regarding repair from big box stores,
 from privacy invasion (pictures, media, etc stolen) to complete lack of
 testing actually performed beyond turning it on, and off again.

 imho you're better off finding a reliable small business, (such as
 Bob's) then trusting in a corporation with no interest in keeping
 customers with working older devices.