[kwlug-disc] OT: "No I will not fix your computer."

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Oct 29 18:46:55 EDT 2013

On 13-10-29 05:05 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> unsolicited wrote:
>> I don't expect Bob much wants such business.
>
> Urm, let's not be putting words into Bob's mouth.

Absolutely. For which I do / did apologize.

I have made the assumption, perhaps erroneously, throughout, that we're
talking (home) consumer, not business (user).

Business different beastie. Let alone easier / more predictable to get
paid reasonable amounts, or offered the work in the first place.

The 30 hours I talk about has as much to do with putting in processes
and programs and individual / personal training to prevent reoccurrence,
as it does in initial remediation to return a system to usability in the
first place. A fair bit of this is already in motion in any business,
unlike the home user free for all. And a business can leverage a bit of
individual training to the rest of their organization.

-----

 > Time is not valued.

Hmm. Rather, time is not deemed affordable.

(They'll spend millions to automate a plant so they don't have to use
people. I'm sure there's a crossing line in there somewhere, but still
trying to work that out - less employees, less money to spend in the
community, less ability to buy product ... less need for
automation.)[Other side: If you don't, your competitor will, and you'll
be out of business anyways. Or at least have to reduce staff.]

 > When people pay, they expect a tangible good in return.

Absolutely. They expect value. And they deserve it.

And as long as product price/performance ratios keep going down, the
value being compared against (remediation time/cost) vs new product cost
will continue to suffer. People time will continue to lose out, and lose
out to larger and larger extents. Middle class, isn't any more, is
shrinking - wage disparities continue to widen. (Because time isn't
deemed affordable.)

They also expect the problem to be solved. Since one can't promise that,
the problem / solution isn't yet known, and people don't like the
uncertainty of T&E (Time and Expense, $X/hr - the problem takes as long
as the problem takes to solve, charging throughout), they are even more
reluctant to pursue repair. They know if they spend $x predictable
dollars, they'll come out the other side with a guaranteed solved
problem. vs the lack of guarantee that 2 hours will do it. (Like said,
never mind this means a commitment on their part to re-learn and
re-apply what they already have.)

 > I don't think Paul was asking for an ROI analysis, just a list of
repair shops.

Nor has anyone offered one.

 > The quick and dirty answer is: Geek Squad at Best Buy/Futureshop,
EasyTech at Staples, and Nerds On Wheels.

I have no reason to believe that is an answer, from what I've heard. At
something like $75 / visit / issue, and a very narrow definition of
'issue' - if you need them it's seldom a single issue expense.

i.e. There is no answer - everything is cost prohibitive. For the home
user not willing to figure it out themselves, or have some nice person
do so for them.

I expect Canada Computer can be included in the above list - they may
even give you a break if it's hardware and you buy a replacement from
them. Wouldn't surprise me if installation were extra, though.

Of course ... YMMV.