[kwlug-disc] OT: "No I will not fix your computer."

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Oct 29 16:07:30 EDT 2013

Paul didn't disqualify recycling shops (e.g.
http://www.eco-techrecycling.com/refurbs.php), just computer recycling.
Computer Recycling
(http://www.theworkingcentre.org/computer-recycling/178) has a social /
non-profit / volunteer component to it.

So a different sort of, user-participatory (?), beastie than a
for-profit going concern.

I can easily spend 30 - 40 hours remediating a computer - at $75/hr,
reasonable these days, that's $3,000. vs a new laptop for, say, $800. I
don't expect Bob does a lot of business in this area - it likely doesn't
even come his way. And I suspect his costs aren't significantly below
Canada Computers - he may well buy retail himself in these
circumstances. Since people won't pay that, and he can't invoice
reasonable amounts for his time, I don't expect Bob much wants such
business.

People just want to pay money for something that just intuitively works,
and get on with their day. And paying less is better. They hope.

Yet it don't work that way, in any affordable manner, yet they're not
willing to put in the time themselves. They'll balk at reinstalling the
OS (if they even have the media) and apps, yet will go buy new and go
through exactly the same process - just install rather than reinstall.

At least the new hardware will be faster - no refurb is anywhere near
retail power, given the low price differential, and lack of multi-year
warranty.

> I'm with John on this one.  There are lots of people out there that
> could use a "refurbished" computer.

Urban myth. FUD, even. If there were that many, you'd see many more such
firms around. Given the performance differential between new and refurb
(I'm only now starting to see the earliest dual cores available refurb),
most will buy new. Making even more refurb that nobody wants. Refurb
places want off-lease where they can get many machines in a go.

The alternative, for 'reasonable' performance, is kijiji - but then
you're back to reinstalling the os and all the other things users don't
want to do in the first place. Plus, see performance, and warranty.

But back to Paul's point ...

Where to send a user with a broken computer, for the least cost.

- sadly, my only cost reasonable answer is self-serve at computer
recycling, suck the life out of some nearby 'expert', or wait for the
person to take that shirt off for a moment.

I am minded of last night's WWITPRO (Security) presentation - new,
easier to use (tablets) means either less functionality (RIM), or less
security and more risk / hacking (Android). [I'm extrapolating from that
and this thread.] Buy newer, faster, fancier, easier, latest, to be
pwned newer, faster, fancier, easier, than ever. Hmmm.