[kwlug-disc] Powerline networking - viable?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Oct 24 19:10:21 EDT 2013

Been minded that 'powerline' is out there, again. Poking about at Canada
Computer, seems I see 3 manufacturers, D-Link, Netgear, Trendnet - no
doubt all the same internals. Kits range from $55 - $100.

 From a bit of poking, I see claims of gigabit ports, but further
reading reveals max. 500 Mbps transmission. (And they wonder why people
mistrust marketers. The info. may be factual, but ...) (Tag seems to be
'AV 500'.)

Anyone have any experience with powerline / wisdom to share?

- not trying to run multiple HD video streams, just get across a gym
with very high ceilings that make a physical copper run problematic. One
1280x800 ip cam stream reliably coming full bore would be desired, though.