[kwlug-disc] Offline/offsite archival data storage

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Oct 17 00:11:52 EDT 2013

Don't be trusting WD Black either - had one 4TB (full, even!) go a few
months back, only a few months old. Mind you, the replacement drive was
back within a week (or 2?), which was reassuring.

So, your 2nd comment is de rigeur, regardless of the hardware - "and
some kind of drive redundancy."

Not saying WD Black isn't long term more reliable, merely that any
product will have some % of glitchy / failure rate.

Irritating part was only that the rule of thumb of if electronics last
the first 30 (90?) days, they'll be good forever ... didn't hold.

And remember, books expand to fill the shelves available - if you get a
3rd drive in the mean time, to still have a backup, when you get the
replacement back ...