[kwlug-disc] Offline/offsite archival data storage

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Oct 16 13:25:17 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:34:39PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > My solution in a nutshell:
> >
> > Vantec Nextar eSATA dock + 3TB WD green disk.
> General agreement... but go with USB3 and /not/ WD Green.
> Why not WD Green?  -- bad reputation.  I think most dock can spin the
> disk down, and OP wants electrically disconnected backup.  So, power is
> of minor issue.  It's just bad drive.

It is not only power, it is heat, and longevity. Been using a pair for 10
months and they have been stable.

Previously, for years the USB ones would eventually develop errors. I tried
many versions, and got errors after a month or two. With eSATA, no errors
so far.

Why USB?  -- since OP mentioned "offsite" && "online", you can attach
> your USB disk to any network device.  Beaglebone Black or Raspberry Pi
> has USB port, but not eSATA.  Also, some el-cheapo NAS doesn't have
> eSATA.

The same dock has USB as well, and therefore you can use to connect to
anything USB.

Any case/dock with USB will work with the same disk, so not really an issue.
Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken