[kwlug-disc] mount changes mount point (dir) permissions to root, root - how to affect?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Nov 26 15:03:21 EST 2013

OK, this is puzzling.

If I mount (mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/sdd1) an external eSata drive (btrfs),
it does not go to root/root, it stays with the user/group on the file
pre-mount, as desired. It mounted dr-xr-x--x, but let me chmod ug+w
successfully post mount. (drwxrwsr-x, pre-mount) As non-sudo, I can
list/read files successfully.

I I mount an (xp) smb mount (./mysmbmount //there/share
/mnt/there/share), I get the behaviour noted earlier: root/root,
drwxrwx--x. If I try to go to that directory, permission denied.

./mysmbmount == smbmount $1 $2 -o
_netdev,directio,rsize=130048,wsize=130048,nobrl,nocase,sec=ntlmv2,credentials=/root/.smb.creds,uid=me,gid=users,file_mode=0771,dir_mode=0771

umask 002

At sudo umask was becoming 022 - discovered visudo: Defaults umask =
0002, Defaults umask_override

- which fixed that.

Not that umask is playing a role here. So far as I have been able to
discover, yet.

So, it's an smbmount issue. man smbmount (mount.cifs) shows:
- user=arg (== username=) specifies the username to connect as.
= appears to be taking value from uid - or, at least, that's how the
files appear, just not the mountpoint itself.
- uid=arg sets the uid that will own all files or directories on the
mounted filesystem

/usr/bin/smbmount -> /sbin/mount.smbfs, which calls mount.cifs.

So, OP reported that an smb mount goes to root/root - although group
write permissions, which is fine per pre-mount user/group, change means
no write access.

Could someone give me a sanity check, and try an smb mount and report if
the dir's (== mountpoint post-mount) user/group stays not root/root?