[kwlug-disc] NAS in 2013

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 12 03:16:21 EST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:54:25AM -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Suggestions? Corrections? Horror stories?
>
> Are the clients to this backup server UNIX-ish only, or a mix of UNIX-ish
> and Windows and OS/X?

UNIX and Windows. The iSCSI is some crackpot idea I have to use
Windows Server Backup (which wants "raw" local disks to be most
effective, not network shares).

> Will this box be mainly write only (to save the backup to), or will it be
> serving the backup stuff to same or other machines?

It is mostly write-only except that once a week it will mirror itself
offsite (which admittedly can get tricky with raw block devices).

- Paul

--
Paul Nijjar - http://pnijjar.freeshell.org
Does Canadian Blood Services Have an Image Problem?