[kwlug-disc] NAS in 2013

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 12 00:34:26 EST 2013

I may be interested in putting together a NAS box, and I am not sure
what is good these days.  FreeNAS? OpenFiler? Something else?

The use case is to set up a backup server -- other servers will send
their backups to this machine. For that reason I do not really want
the redundancy of ZFS or btrfs. I think I want a bunch of drives
(maybe even the hated WD Green drives, which we currently possess)
that act as a bunch of disks, shared via NFS, SAMBA and iSCSI
block devices. It is this last feature that makes me think of using
one of these NAS distributions as opposed to a simple Debian box.

Suggestions? Corrections? Horror stories?

--
Paul Nijjar - http://pnijjar.freeshell.org
Does Canadian Blood Services Have an Image Problem?