[kwlug-disc] Kitchener Waterloo Cable ISPs

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Nov 11 12:25:52 EST 2013

Acanac and Distributel partner on their backbones. This is Acanac
territory - I don't expect Distributel is an option. And vice versa in
other territories. But it's all the same backbone. As I understand it,
it's whomever has the link from Roger's to their backbone - in this case
it's Acanac at Roger's Grand Crest Kitchener location - AFAIK.

Acanac has forums at https://community.acanac.com/acanac/index.php. I
suspect the others have their equivalents. No doubt each will have lots
of complaints about each of the others. (Usually in the end blaming
Rogers - whom, AFAICT, well deserves the blame. Physical connectivity
issues, less so administrative ones.)

They also advertise a 30-day money back guarantee, excluding the
activation fee and any modem purchase. (Last I checked, any purchased
modem from any of them should be usable on any of the others.) At one
point the Thomson was cheaper at Canada Computers. Currently, their
Huawei MT130U at $75 is cheaper through them. (Last I looked.)

Khalid: Be fair (to Acanac). Their front page,
http://ww.acanac.ca/cable.html, shows various rate plans, but to get the
best it's an annual fee. I can't find the fine print ('*' reference) to
see what the fee is after the first year, but last I looked it's that
fee annually - the '*' was a fine print reference to being held hostage
to CRTC/Rogers, and any wholesaler fee change would of course have to be
passed on. Added during a recent CRTC go around or 3 or 5. I expect the
same is true of any provider.

Looks like the best rate is $43.95/month ($527.40 annual), first year
for 35/3, peak 14/1. (They show other goodies too.) Rather cheaper than
your other choices.

Month to month it shows $49.95, 3 months $47.95, 6 $45.95, and as above,
12 $43.95