[kwlug-disc] VoIP replacement for land line

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Nov 4 15:28:29 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Raul Suarez <rarsa at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Khalid,
>
> A few couple of questions:
> How do you define "many minutes" local and to the US? are we talking about
> 5,000 minutes or 20,000 minutes per month?
> Are those minutes to many numbers or to a limited number of locations?

It is basically like unlimited internet vs a limit (high or low) that you
have to keep track of yourself to stay under.

Same concept here: I am keeping track of how much talking we are doing. For
USA, it is not a whole lot because the per minute charge with my long
distance provider is not that high, but still ...

> Depending on how you want to use it there are many different solutions
> with voip.ms
>
> For Canadian number it is 99 cents per month plus the e911 that i think is
> $1.95. And the amount of features are awesome (e.g. Call forward and DISA,
> call transfer, unlimited extensions, etc) and 1/2 cent per minute almost
> anywhere in Canada (I think the Yukon is 1 cent).
>
> If you have people that you call regularly in the States you could set up
> a virtual number there and have them call you, That's what I do for Mexico.
> My parents don't pay for local calls in Mexico, and I don't pay any extra
> for incoming calls from that line.
>
> If people in your family usually call the same people for those long
> calls, you can set up an ATA at the remote location (about $70) and just
> call extension to extension which is free. That applies for anywhere in the
> world where there is an internet connection to connect the ATA
>
> Alternatively they can set up a SIP client (soft-phone) on the computer or
> on the smartphone and use it as an extension.
>
> To give you an idea of cost: I pay about $13 a month and that includes,
> - my line with e911 (this line does not get much use as everybody at home
> uses cell phones)
> - A virtual phone number in Mexico at a flat $9 per month. Here sometimes
> we rack 4,000 or 5,000 minutes
> - On my cell phone plan I can set up one free number that I can call to as
> much as I want (something like "my five").  I did set up my home phone as
> my free number, I then  up a DISA on my DID. When I call home from my cell
> phone, it asks me for a code, and gives me a tone for me to dial anywhere,
> so pretty much all the calls from the cell phone would cost 1 cent per
> minute which can save a ton on cell charges.
>
> Plus added advantages. I configured it such as, when my parents call my
> Mexican line, They receive a menu "press 1 to call me at home, press 2 to
> call me at my cell". that way they can always reach me

I looked into voip.ms and it is too confusing figure out a cost vs. a flat
rate plan. An open ended per usage plan will still be something to keep an
eye on like internet caps.

I am currently testing the Ooma Telo (http://ca.ooma.com/how-ooma-works)
with the Premium plan ($9.99 a month unlimited to USA, second line which
can be a USA number, ...etc., and $3.99 for unlimited calling in Canada).
The USA number was chosen to be local to relatives there that we call
often, so they can call us at no cost to them, or us.

It is working well so far.

For Egypt, the per minute charge is much higher than North America
(cheapest is $0.09 per minute, up to $0.26 per minute. These are discount
carrier rates. Bell used to be $1.18 per minute, not sure what they are
now).

The best solution I found is to buy a MagicJack and put a local number on
it and have unlimited calls to/from where it is installed ($30 a year per
MagicJack). As a bonus, the person(s) you install a MagicJack for can also
call other USA/Canada for free.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal