[kwlug-disc] Ripping DVD's with Vortex Box.

John Driezen jdriezen at sympatico.ca
Tue May 7 20:16:53 EDT 2013

Last night after the meeting I downloaded Vortex Box 2.2.  I built a
system from an old Pentium 4 with 3 DVD drives.  Following the
instructions on the vortex box wiki, I managed to rip cds from each
drive successfully.   Attempting to rip a DVD failed with the following
message in the log file:

05/07/2013 19:12:36 - Optical disk detected - type : DVD
Using device /dev/sr0
Reading DVD track info.
Getting DVD name.

Ripping Shrek the Third (2007) to /storage/movies...

Encrypted DVD - Starting deep analysis. This may take a while...

Ripping main movie only (track 2)

MakeMKV v1.7.8 linux(x86-release) started
Profile parsing error: default profile missing, using builtin default
Automatic checking for updates is enabled, you may disable it in preferences if you don't want MakeMKV to contact web server.
Current operation: Scanning CD-ROM devices
Current action: Scanning CD-ROM devices
Current progress - 0%  , Total progress - 0%
Current progress - 0%  , Total progress - 0%
Current progress - 100%  , Total progress - 0%
Current progress - 100%  , Total progress - 100%
This application version is too old.  Please download the latest version at http://www.makemkv.com or enter a registration key to continue using the current version.

Ripping took 0 minutes and 18 seconds.
05/07/2013 19:12:58 - Done.

Checking http://www.makemkv.com, there is a MakeMKV v1.8.1 for Linux, but it appears you need to download and build from source.  Any suggestions?