[kwlug-disc] OT: Eyesurf and VoIP

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Wed May 1 11:45:16 EDT 2013

I had a lot of issues with voip.ms in the past. We were pushing it into a samsung 7100 phonesystem. It would loose registration, and even stranger, it would not dial certain US and Canadian 800 numbers, no matter where I set my location (US/Canada). Many of these issues would only happen when using the samsung system; from a softphone; Ekiga, I could call just fine

On with voip.ms tech support and many packet captures later we could not get the issue resolved, and ended up going back to unlimitel. Voip.ms said the phone system was mishandling the last part of the four part handshake when the other end answers.

The losing of the registration was addressed by some keep alive values in the phone system, I can't remember if there were configs in the voip.ms portal to set. It was a long time ago. But the issue never fully went away, and as I stated we ended up going back to unlimitel. Also Some of the voip.ms servers were more reliable than others, and would drop registration less frequently.