[kwlug-disc] OT: Hotmail/Yahoo account breakins

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 27 12:15:40 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:59:08PM -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> On 13-03-26 05:45 AM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> > The spam messages from yahoo accounts seem to have diminished
> > significantly. If there was a breach then I would not expect this (but
> > it could be possible). What's going on? - Paul
>

> Apparently the FBI has saved the Internets:
> http://www.channel4.com/news/yahoos-email-system-hacked-by-criminal-spammers

Hooray for the FBI!

But it would have been nice to see some of the details about what went
on, exactly. Did our Russian friend get ahold of the password hashes?
Were trojans or keyloggers actually involved?

It sucks that the company is still pretending nothing happened.

> I assume that the FBI has shut down the operation of the Russian
> Federation criminal hacker, not shut down the operation of Yahoo.
> Although that would probably reduce spam even more...

Be careful what you wish for...

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org