[kwlug-disc] What's needed for OTA on a TV cart?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Mar 24 03:12:30 EDT 2013

Thanks.

> Minimal non-high def tuner boxes are around the 40 dollar range

I'm guessing you're talking about an ATSC tuner?

Got a link to the sort of beastie you're talking about? Canada computer,
factory direct, Orion, K-W Surplus?

> A decent VHF rabbit ear can often do it.

There's a set of rabbit ears there, but it's never been able to pick up
anything, AFAIK. Even CKCO was full of snow. Now that they're digital
... I'm not sure anyone's tried. We just assumed the analogue rabbit
ears / TV wasn't going to get anything.

Not knowing what 'decent' is, any links?

> failing that an antenna costing sub 40 dollars could be stuck in a
> window to pick up it and possibly Global as well.

No window anywhere near where it's normally used. This would have to be
entirely mobile / plug and play - and the plug would be of a single
extension cord into a power outlet. (-:

Come check us out any Friday night, we serve the best Sloppy Joe's in
town! Free! For you, I'll throw in a cup of coffee!