[kwlug-disc] CD Ripping Presentation that I've not scheduled yet and why.

Chamunks Arkturus chamunks at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 15:17:36 EDT 2013

I've been notified as of two weeks ago that they are working on an approved
100% secure rips procedure that will be documented and posted that I'll
just run through for the presentation it shouldn't take very long but
basically this presentation will create Archival quality Lossless audio
rips with log files to boot so you can be certain there has been zero loss
between the medium and the FLAC files.

Here is the blog post that mentions that they will be in the works of
releasing an approved method of using linux to produce secure rips.

## Reposted Blog Post.

*Help Us Work On An Approved Linux Ripper* - posted 2 weeks, 4 days ago by
lenrek
As some of you may know, we're currently entertaining the idea of endorsing
an approved CD ripper for Linux. Over the past several months, a number of
our members and staff have come to the conclusion that a free, open source
ripper called morituri might be something we can get behind. That said,
we're not quite there yet, and we'd like your help.

*If you are interested in having a supported Linux ripper that can produce
100% logs*, there are a number of things you can do to help the process
along. All you need to help out are a computer running some version of
Linux, a CD-Rom drive, and CDs to rip. If you have experience testing or
developing in python, that's a plus, but it's not required.

*Things you can do to help:*

   - Check out the morituri wiki article
   here: wiki.php?action=article&id=1072
   - Join us on IRC in #morituri (use Drone)
   - Install morituri and rip some CDs (perfect morituri rips get 99% in
   the log checker now, and they may eventually score 100%). If you need help
   getting up and running, please join the IRC channel -- the people there
   will try to help if you have problems.
   - Report any bugs, strange errors or concerns about the ripper in this
   thread: forums.php?action=viewthread&threadid=163034
   - Help contribute documentation to the wiki article, or correct existing
   documentation errors.

If you have python development experience:

   - Check out the development branch of morituri -- more info can be found
   here: http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/
   - Try to identify bugs and file patches where appropriate.
   - Feel free to visit the official #morituri channel on
irc.freenode.org-- note that it's often quiet there.

*There is no GUI for morituri at this point, but we would like to see one
developed. If you have experience doing this kind of work and want to help
out, please join #morituri in IRC and let us know!*

Note that we're not 100% committed to supporting morituri yet -- it is
possible that we'll uncover bugs that are too serious to tolerate, or we
may find another unforseen reason to disqualify morituri as an official
ripper. Preliminary results have been good, however, and we feel that the
best way to figure out if morituri is the right tool is to open it up for
broader testing and development. Hopefully if all goes well, we'll soon
have an approved Linux ripper.