[kwlug-disc] big backup?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Mar 6 13:12:08 EST 2013

Things like this,
http://kingwin.com/products/cate/mobile/racks/kf_4001_bk.asp, can help
with that.

Some search terms that may help, lest you drown:
- 'hot swap', which should usually mean drive doors out the front so you
(or a grunt) can change a drive without opening up a case. [I consider
'hot swap' theoretical, beyond that physical aspect.]
- 5in3 or 5in4
- hdd 'cage'
- trayless (although it seems like once you go trayless, you tend to
lose front display elements, such as blinky lights when -that-
particular drive is accessed.)

YMMV

Maybe each remote site only needs one or two bays
(http://kingwin.com/products/cate/mobile/racks/kf_1000_bk.asp), while it
may be helpful to you, as the creator of the drives, to have more.

Couple notes to self:
- product lines change. Additional trays may not be later available for
racks purchased today. (Don't even think about alternate manufacturers,
after the first purchase - they won't be interchangeable.)
- even within the same manufacture different products may not be able to
use the other's trays. Verify, before purchase.