[kwlug-disc] rogers cable modem upgrade?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 19 13:23:28 EDT 2013

- you might inquire if the e-mail account is tied to the service. e.g.
If you cancel the service will you lose the e-mail address.

- my Roger's bill shows the services broken out. You might want to
quantify the discount against the savings of another provider, and the
payback period. You can also call them and have them calculate things
for you. (Although I've heard cases where 3 different reps looking at
the same numbers give you 3 different answers.) At one point I costed
out Acanac at a 6 month payback period, then modem prices went up.

Turn off their wireless, preferably get one without, swap devices, get
on with your day without change - unless and until you're ready to deal
with that change. The d-link should continue to work as it always has.
Even if you don't turn off their wireless, that should still be true.
Heck, unscrew their antenna, for that matter. (Although you may want to
change the d-link wi-fi channel if there's conflict / overlap.)

- I far prefer things like wi-fi to be under my, and only my, direct
control. For some reason, I don't entirely trust providers.

[Some assumptions here ... e.g. your internet is provided to you via
physical wire from roger's and you've been providing your own wi-fi
service to yourself via the d-link.]

- I have received no similar demand from Rogers. My modem (at
192.168.100.1, as usual) reports SA 'WebSTAR DPC2100R2'.