[kwlug-disc] OT: Hotmail/Yahoo account breakins

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Wed Feb 27 22:38:52 EST 2013

On 02/27/2013 10:17 PM, John Kerr wrote:

> Is this a bigger problem than anyone inside or outside of Yahoo Hotmail wants to admit to? I ask rhetorically.

There has been a really big problem that started about midway last
week.. Usually, I get one or two people on my client list per year with
a compromised e-mail account.  But as of last week, just about everyone
I know with Yahoo (Rogers) accounts has been hit.

One of them didn't even ever use (or know they had) webmail (POP only),
so it probably wasn't the XSS exploit most people seem to be assuming at
play.  I've had no luck finding anyone able/willing to explain this
latest tsunami of compromised e-mail accounts.