[kwlug-disc] OT: Hotmail/Yahoo account breakins

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Feb 19 16:54:45 EST 2013

I've been more of a fan of using firefox profiles, instead of multiple
system accounts.

Run `firefox -P` and create a profile called "bank", then:

$ mkdir -p .local/share/applications
$ cat > .local/share/applications/bank.desktop <<EOF
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Bank
Comment=My Bank.com Account
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=firefox --class=bank --no-remote -P bank
Icon=firefox
EOF

That gives you a launcher icon called "Bank", and an entire browser
customized to your bank. You can do things like set your homepage to
https://bank.com, and remove the address bar so you don't accidently think
it's your regular browser. Or install a unique personas theme to identify
it. Whatever.

The neat thing is that this will show up in Unity, gnome-shell, or whatever
DE you use as another "application". The really neat thing is that the
"--class" bit makes Gnome-Shell (and probably Unity) understand it's not
"firefox". So when you Alt-Tab through applications, it isn't grouped with
your regular firefox windows. You might want to find a different icon for
it, instead of "firefox". Best if you can get a nice png of your bank logo.

I do this with a lot of my regular web-apps (work time tracker, work issue
tracker, vcentre web admin, etc). I do a similar setup with a
"mutt.desktop" that runs a dedicated mutt terminal that isn't grouped with
my regular terminals.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 07:23:39PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> > Mind you, have to set up accounts, not always easy for users. Let alone,
> > on windows, people frequently don't have accounts at all. (Not even log
> > in automatically with a password of password.)
>
> In linux, this is fairly easy for me.  As root:
>
>         # create the account
>         useradd -m bank
>
>         # set its password
>         passwd bank
>

> > For Linux, multiple X sessions (Ctrl-Alt-F8, etc.) would also be
> > possible. This X for home, this X for wide area browsing, that one for
> > banking ...
>
> And if you don't like that, you can ssh into the subaccounts:
>
>         ssh -Y bank at localhost firefox
>
> Maybe not quite as secure, since you're sharing an X session, but
> probably quite good enough, for browser security.
>
> - Chris

Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>