[kwlug-disc] Anyone ordered from amazon.com (not .ca) - was there a brokerage fee charged?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Feb 17 20:35:17 EST 2013

The Canadian shipping info pages are all but useless:
- Shipping Rates:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=596192&qid=1361149789&sr=1-1
- Shipping Times:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201118390
(After chatting for far too long a time with customer service which are
clueless about 'brokerage fees' yet will not escalate to someone who
does ... - I never did get an answer to whether they consolidate
shipments to Canada to their own warehouse / additional fees incurred at
time of delivery, such as brokerage fees.)
- Import Fees Deposit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201117970
(I'm guessing brokerage is included within this, but I have zero
confirmation of that.)

Searching amazon.com has to be one of the most painful experiences I
have had - talk about unrelated, non-matching, search results!
(Searching search help, the only tips given are to include a '-' before
terms you don't want. My experience showed inconsistent results, even
with that. e.g. 'AAA' -'AA' - cause searching on 'AAA' returned 'AA's!)

Part of the uselessness of the Canadian shipping pages above are that
there is no indication of courier, from which one might guess expected
brokerage fees (and avoid UPS!). I did get a hint in my chat that
choosing priority courier shipping means it goes out usps international,
so it comes in via Canada Post / Purolator - from whom I've never had
outrageous brokerage fee charges on, like +$60 I had one time, from UPS,
I believe.

Is one able to choose USPS / courier at time of ordering? (I understand
they also favour DHL - I don't remember my experience with them, it
can't have been outrageous or I would remember more clearly.)

So far, ordering from amazon.com seems useless:
- won't ship hard drives, cordless phone headset / samsung jack adapter
(local K-W store source? Taking 2.5mm 3 conductor jack out to a 3.5mm 4
conductor plug.), AAA batteries, but will ship UPS battery. Go figure.
- if any of these are available at amazon.ca, from what I've seen so
far, their prices are even higher than at tigerdirect!

So:
- method of arrival / shipping firm of amazon.com orders selectable at
time of ordering?
- fees were additionally charged at time of delivery, but nothing
unreasonable, HST, 'minor' processing / brokerage / CanadaPost fee?

Definitely wondering what all the hoopla over amazon is, at least in Canada.

Comments appreciated.