[kwlug-disc] OT: Hotmail/Yahoo account breakins

chaslinux at gmail.com chaslinux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:31:39 EST 2013

So I had this happen recently on my gmail account. I'm thinking that an app I installed on my phone (whatsapp - a messenger-style app) may have provided a way in for someone.

Whatsapp seems to scour your phone's contacts to search for active whatsapp users with the same address. I don't know in my case because I never got to see full headers from those who got spammed (and it may not have helped anyway). In my case I changed my password immediately and set up 2 factor authentication for gmail (message gets sent to my phone with a code that let's me activate each computer I want gmail on).

Thinking phones could be a big problem in the near future.
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
www: http://www.rebuild-it.com/
Sent from my cell phone.