[kwlug-disc] OT: Hotmail/Yahoo account breakins

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 13 20:43:59 EST 2013

In your experience have these victims been running Windows only?
(And if so, if automatic windows updates are turned on / used regularly.
And which version of windows. xp more typically having users as
administrators, than, say, 7 - particularly as xp browsers don't
typically differentiate between internal / local / unsafe domains, as
many later ones do, IIRC.)

It seems to me that more people that do e-mail via the web have problems
that those using actual e-mail clients, but I'm guessing.

My impression has been that once a password is known, they go at things
via the web / their own computers, not via the victim's computer.

It is in their interest to not change the password, so they can keep
using the account. Changing the password would be a faster red flag to
the victim.

I have always suspected web cached passwords. I suppose e-mail client
cached passwords are equally vulnerable. However, particularly on Linux,
security updates are important to the developers to get out as quickly
as possible, lest their software get the bad rap. IIRC, Linux machines
tend to come out of the box to auto-install security updates.

I don't have a great amount of faith in web mail providers being
'hackproof', nor that they have built mechanisms whereby repeated entry
attempts (e.g. dictionary attacks) get increasingly degraded login
attempts. I expect most hacks come in that way.

Two pieces of advice I regularly see:
1. Choose a hard password - mixed case, digits, symbols.
2. Change it regularly. (Once a month?)

Webmail accounts, being universally accessible are naturally prime
targets over others - people can get to them, many choose easy
passwords, and the successful penetration rate is probably higher than
other penetration attempts. Nature of the beast. I doubt there are many
other such accessible targets, at least with the same level of
'payload'. (Cracking a user's web site password to kwlug.org, for
example, probably doesn't gain all that much in terms of nefarious
activity impact upon the world.)

E-mail client attachment opening is probably further within the security
onion than the web browser. Which leads to the other often seen piece of
advice - don't open attachments! At least not unless they're from
trusted sources. Thus cracking an e-mail account and sending a bad
attachment to everyone in that address book ...