[kwlug-disc] How much CPU to keep a disk fed? [Was: Re: Which vendor for Raspberry Pi kits?]

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Tue Dec 10 13:23:24 EST 2013

Be aware that Raspi is failrly slow at CPU and with external connectivity.
I expect it may be fine for DLNA but if you have to move a lot of data to
it often you may find the 100MB/s Ethernet is too slow.

I have three RasPis running here at home and I have to remember the power
savings I'm getting because they are slow compared to the speed of a
full-blown server.

That said, I'm all for the idea of putting low-end services onto a Raspi.
Currently I'm happy with Asterisk running on it. I have a web server on
another. Drupal page loads are about 3 seconds. My Perl-based wiki is much
slower. But since they hardly see any hits I'm happy with slow performance.

I tried a disk-server on Raspi, in fact it's still in place but I'm not
using it. The real problem with disk and Raspi is that USB2 is too slow for
the disk but the real bottleneck is the 100MB/s Ethernet. I'm more in
favour of using a WDC MyBook NAS which supports NFS and costs about the
same as a USB disk. You're not running Apache on it without hacking it
first though and I don't know of any rooting options.

There are other hardware solutions that are low power but have higher-end
connections or other faster features. These are much more expensive and
don't have the community that Raspi does. So I stuck with Raspi.

I keep a spare Raspi and spare power bricks for hardware failure. It's
still cheaper than a server and I can handle a little down time in case of
failure.

John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical