[kwlug-disc] What are people using to write HTML with?

John Kerr johneddie.kerr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 13:06:39 EST 2013

Hi I have been using geany to write Latex on my Pi and I found it to be
good, Blue Griffon was fast enough for me on Ubuntu. Geany with the HTML
modules might be the right one for you.

Best regards,

John

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Chris Craig <kwlug.org at ciotog.net> wrote:

> For an open source editor I've been using geany for a few years, it's
> got a lot of advanced features but still simple enough to be used as a
> general text editor.
>
> On 10 December 2013 00:12,  <peter_melse at gto.net> wrote:
> > not strictly open source, but I've used komodo edit for this in the past,
> > and as a general editor, sublime text editor is really growing on me.
> >

> > On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:51:29 -0500, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Looks like I have some all but standalone .html files to write. I
> >> don't and won't be doing enough of it to remember the 'language'
> >> between this time and the next. What are people using to author .html?
> >>
> >> I need to put together a small 'app' (with very small distribution),
> >> and will probably just drop a few .html files into a shared dropbox
> >> folder. (Content is static.)
> >>
> >> Being Kubuntu, I use kwrite often enough, and kate, but I've not used
> >> them this way.
> >>
> >> Popped into Blue Griffin on my dual-Atom Windows laptop long enough
> >> to see far too slow.
> >>
> >> Because I so seldom have to do this, I do like the idea of point and
> >> click for css attributes and stuff. (Seems to me I came across
> >> something called Hot Dog long ago, but I expect there's similarly
> >> light weight but more evolved apps out there now.)
> >>
> >> This also ties in with the earlier XML thread in that a substantial
> >> portion of a stylesheet (aside from the XML calls themselves), is html
> >> and css. [Given the lack of 'involved' XML in the stylesheet, an HTML
> >> environment like this may well satisfy for stylesheets too.]
> >>
> >> Popped into LibreOffice for a moment to help me through a css hump.
> >> Got what I needed. A little heavy, though.
> >>
> >> Being able to pop in javascript (tags / scriptlet outline) won't
> >> hurt, either. I expect a lot of 'if( attribute && attribute !="")
> >> output attribute' type inserts - whatever that looks like in
> >> javascript. (Like I said, I don't do enough of it to immediately
> >> recall the environment / syntax.)
> >>
> >> Suggestions?

Every child born increases by one the group of people Sir Winston Churchill
called the "so many", who owe so much to the group he called the "so few".