[kwlug-disc] How much CPU to keep a disk fed? [Was: Re: Which vendor for Raspberry Pi kits?]

peter_melse at gto.net peter_melse at gto.net
Tue Dec 10 00:34:59 EST 2013

 I've been using a pi as a media center running xmbc for a little while
 now. (and absolutely love it.)

 Last week I recently purchased the model b kit from newark (and a
 non-lego case for my existing)
 some of my order arrived the next day! still waiting on the rest.
 (newark has a pretty good reputation)

 Some things you should keep in mind is that the 5VDC @1A power supply
 is just enough to power the pi. If you're connecting addtional USB
 drives, or a keyboard, mouse you'll need an additional powered usb hub
 in order to avoid hard locks.

 on the XBMC side (granted not your goal, but folk might find this
 helpful)  I'm streaming hi def(720, need to test 1080) content over
 10/100 ethernet no problem from a NAS. my distro of choice is raspbmc,
 and I'm using my tv remote (with hdmi-cec) to control the thing. This
 configuration is plug and pray with raspbmc, and all I needed to do was
 add my shares to xmbc using the gui.

 If anyone's looking for a ~$80 gift/device for a network storage
 enabled media server, and has a modern TV, this setup wins hands down
 over an apple tv for my (open source) money.