[kwlug-disc] rsync causing processor spike

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Dec 6 16:08:05 EST 2013

Is it 'momentary' while it figures out its filelist to be copied?

iotop (htop/atop/top) reveal anything useful?

Can you give us the path to external backup? e.g. I regularly mount a
windows share and rsync to it, at /mnt/machine/share and don't see what
you're experiencing. i.e. As it's not an rsync: form of destination,
rsync thinks everything is local and does not calculate checksums. I
suspect the same is true for you. (i.e. No great whack of cpu
consumption in checksum calculations going on - the issue lies
elsewhere. I suspect.)

Any chance the logs reveal it's going down a (expensive) symbolic link
accidentally?

What's the filesystem on the external drive?

USB? (3?)

What speed CPU / memory?

There is a --bwlimit parameter, if that's useful.

Reasonable amount of freespace available?

I have seen what you talk about, but it's been swap going stupid causing
it. (swapoff -a && swapon -a &) being recommended IIRC, in those cases.
swapon -s reveal anything unexpected?