[kwlug-disc] rsync causing processor spike

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 6 14:24:47 EST 2013

Rsync is computationally expensive if it thinks that it is sending
files remotely (because then it computes rolling checksums on all the
files, transfering only those parts that have changed).

I do not think that you are in that situation. However, you might try
the --whole-file (-W) option, which will transfer whole files without
computing checksums. This will probably be slower, but it might be
more lightweight.

If you are spiking the processor, then why is ionice the right tool to
use and not plain old nice?

- Paul

http://pnijjar.freeshell.org