[kwlug-disc] XML / XSL / XSD/ XSLT 'development' 'environment' / 'gui'?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Dec 5 17:21:24 EST 2013

 > You haven't decided to follow that path.
 >
 > Yet.

I don't disagree. Certainly even the programmer now agrees. And it's
what Khalid first intimated.

But it's ... WIG - What I've Got

UIFSB - Until I Find Something Better

(Been some years of searching. Problem has been moving target, e.g.
Google / web / android came along, and Google took the world backwards,
and somehow the world is OK with that. Things that make you go ...)

 > 2) hack the HTML.  use the existing / working xsl and then
 > post-process by hacking the resulting HTML by changing the CSS.  html
 > and css editing tools are fairly mature and not too user-hostile.

This is what I expect to happen. The point of my original post was to
survey the landscape first. JIC - Just In Case.

Even then, if I'm reading things correctly, in essence the .xml (.xsl?)
can contain what in essence are SQL queries. (XPATH, given Chris' kind
note.) And no GUI tool is going to be able to chew on all possible query
results - its XML, after all. Free structured throw in whatever
inconsistent bit you're thinking about at the moment. (Never mind the
later regrets. Full speed ahead!)

But, at the very least, any such discovered tool will help sink into the
majority of the ecosystem - so when getting down to the code editor
level, some of the greek will at least have some recognizable letters
within it.

e.g. If such a tool displays a more friendly data dictionary, then it
has its place. ALFTM - At Least For The Moment.

Can't help but think that XML was another one of those good ideas that
didn't quite make it. I do wonder how much for lack of creation
discipline, or lack of follow on tools, such as report writers. (Never
mind how difficult on a free form database that concept is.) Was sort of
hoping by now that SGHSCA - Something Good Has Since Come Along.

Guess not. But still looking / hoping ... for the moment.

Thanks for the post. Appreciate the levity.

- yep ... I've become aware of the w3schools link. Posting here was part
of trying to narrow down how much of the universe I have to grok at a gulp.

- have had a bit of a deja on all this too ... some time ago I took a
peek at OpenOffice (at the time) / .pdf forms. Was hoping for fill out
on web, send the record via e-mail, reassemble at recipient. Only a
peek. Closed somewhat quickly. Eek!
= problem had more to with delivering surrounding functionality, not so
much the form itself - that at least, if only, looked to have a finite
learning curve.