[kwlug-disc] XML / XSL / XSD/ XSLT 'development' 'environment' / 'gui'?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Dec 5 16:46:40 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 04:32:20PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> I know zero of xml.

You may wish to start reading up.  I'd start with the w3schools.com
tutorials.  They don't take too long, if you know some programming already.

XSD is your table definition.
XML is your database.
XPATH is your SQL.
XSLT is your programming language.

It's actually kind of cool, once you start experimenting with it and
finding out what XSLT can do.  And once you've done that, you will
have the tools to create LibreOffice imports and exports, since
it uses XML too.

Kinda nice to import random XML data into a spreadsheet, depending on
the data.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any tools other than an editor,
xmllint, xsltproc, your brain, and copious free time.  But then I'm a
command line guy anyway, and haven't looked too hard.

Start with a working example, and keep each task small (tiny!) as you
iterate to get the result you want, or it can get discouraging.
But success is worth it, in my opinion, if even for the aesthetic joy.

Good luck,
- Chris